I’ve been happily knitting away for about six weeks on a blanket version of Blossom. I had been loving it, but of late I have noticed a gathering lack of satisfaction (the fact that I don’t find I’m grabbing it at
every spare moment is a dead giveaway, I think).
I took a good long look at it today, to see if I could figure out what put me off knitting on it. An answer was not long in coming: I made a
poor choice of the type of colour change. I simply do not look forward to knitting this way for several more months till I have a blanket!
Let me explain…
In Blossom, I opted for quilted colour changes throughout, probably influenced by the fact that I wished I had used them on my Zinnia
blanket. The threaded colour change involves pulling the far layer stitch through the front layer stitch before working the stitches in
their matching colours. This locks the layers together, creates an indentation and makes a colour change.
However, they are slightly less pleasing when used in close proximity to one another, such as at the top of a petal, and–perhaps more
importantly–they are rather tricky to read as to on which row they were made. In a design like this with such frequent pattern shifts this was leading to frequent grumbly fixes and reworking of stitches to fix errors (Grrr… not another one!). A regular colour change, where the pair of stitches are each simply worked in the opposing colours, is easier to count and easier to fix, if necessary.
This piece is no longer destined to be a blanket and I feel much relieved for having made the decision. I’m not about to waste the
knitting thus far, however. I am going to repurpose it as a table-cover and try something experimental with each of the eight sections in turn.
My plan is to work each of them as a flat piece tapering away as the next petal is completed and try something altogether new!
Now that I’ve completed the petals, I’m delighted by the effect! The unexpected issues forced me to try something new and another exciting finishing option has been created. Below are a few more of my Blossom experiments.
Phew!! It’s time to cast on another blanket now!